Find A Career
Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club is recruiting for the position of Senior PGA Professional The Club Royal Cinque Ports is one of the country’s premier members’ clubs, with an 18 hole Championship Links, regarded as one of the finest in the world. It is twice host of the Open Championship, as well as many other prestigious amateur championships. The Club is looking to add to its dedicated, professional team by recruiting a Senior PGA Professional.
The golf course is a fine example of a traditional ‘out and back’ links. Located in the southeast corner of England, it offers superb golf all year round. Its fast-rolling fairways and magnificent green complexes provide a stern challenge and huge enjoyment to lovers of links golf. In a prevailing wind, the last seven holes at Deal are reputed to be amongst the toughest in golf.
The Club has excellent practice facilities, including a 300 yard driving range, a first-class short game area (built in 2019), and a newly redesigned putting green (opened in 2022); all of which are located within a short walk of the Professional Shop.
The Club’s Head Professional of 45 years, Andrew Reynolds, will be retiring on the 30th September 2023. Sam Smitherman will become the Club's 9th Head Professional on the 1st October 2023.
The Club has a good sized, and well-stocked, Pro Shop, which offers members and guests top of the range stock and a high-quality service.
The Senior PGA Professional is an integral member of the professional team at Deal, the team is usually the first point of contact for all golfers, and is responsible for providing a world class professional service to members and guests.
Employed by the Club, the Senior PGA Professional will report directly to the Head Professional.
The Senior PGA Professional will assist with the management of all the professional golf services, including:
● Retail, both in the Pro Shop and online, including ordering and stock management
● Lessons and coaching, including individuals and groups
● Club fitting and repairs
● Meeting & greeting golfers
● Buggy, trolley and rental club management
● Caddie bookings and management
● Driving Range management
● Communications and promotions
Royal Cinque Ports is looking for a candidate who:
● Has considerable experience in a Professional Shop or Golf Operations role, in either a Senior Assistant Professional or Assistant Professional role
● Is a fully Qualified PGA Professional
● Can act as an ambassador for the Club
● Plays golf to a high standard
● Offers the highest level of customer service
● Has experience in building a coaching diary
In addition to the above, the candidate should have:
● All relevant professional and technical qualifications
● A positive and enthusiastic attitude to work
● A passion for the game of golf
● Excellent communication skills
● A keen eye for detail and high level of presentation skills
● A passion for continual professional development and understanding industry trends
● Experience of working at a private members’ golf club
The Senior PGA Professional will be employed by the Club and the role will attract a package which is commensurate with the position, including:
● A competitive salary
● Opportunity for additional income from coaching
● A share of the Staff Christmas & Easter gratuities
● A health and well-being package
● Free lunch when on shift
● Pension benefits
● Education and training support
● PGA Subscription paid
For a full job description, please contact the Head Professional, Sam Smitherman.
To apply: Please send an application, to include a letter and CV, by email to the Head Professional firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applicants is the 16th October 2023. Following the closing date, a shortlist will be drawn up with those selected to be invited to interview at the Club.
Contact details: Sam Smitherman, Head Professional
Tel: 01304 374007
Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club, Deal, CT14 6RF